Acquisition of Land for Public purposes
For various public purposes land is acquired in the State. Land acquisition is carried out as per the provisions of the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013, the Assam Land (Requisition & Acquisition) Act, 1964, the Petroleum and Minerals Pipelines (Acquisition of Right of User in Land) Act, 1962, the National Highways Act, 1956 etc.
The Revenue & D.M. Department accords approval to the land acquisition proposals received from the Deputy Commissioner/Collector of concerned Districts routed through the Requiring Department/Body. On receipt of requisition for acquisition in connection with a public purpose/project from a Requiring Body, Deputy Commissioner/Collector sends the land acquisition proposal to the Revenue & D.M.(L.R.) Deptt. seeking necessary approval.
Public purposes under the RFCTLARR Act, 2013 for which land is acquired include:
- Strategic purposes relating to naval, military, air force and armed forces of the Union including Central Parliamentary forces or any work vital to national security or defence of India or State police, safety of the people.
- Infrastructure projects, projects involving agro processing, supply of inputs to agriculture, warehousing, cold storage facilities etc., industrial corridor projects; projects for water harvesting and water conservation structures, sanitation; projects for Govt. administered, Govt. aided educational and research scheme or institutions; projects for sports, health care, tourism, transportation of space programme etc.
- Projects for project affected families.
- Projects for housing for such income group as may be specified by the Appropriate Govt.
- Projects for planned development or improvement of village sites or any site in the urban areas etc.
- Projects for residential purposes to the poor or landless or to persons residing in areas affected by natural calamities, or to persons displaced or affected by the implementation of any scheme undertaken by the Govt., any local authority or a corporation owned or controlled by the State.
For acquisition of land under the RFCTLARR Act, 2013 the following procedures are followed:
- When the Appropriate Govt. intends to acquire land for a public purpose, it shall carry out a Social Impact Assessment study in the affected area. This provision may be dispensed with by the Appropriate Govt. when land is acquired invoking urgency provisions under section 40 of the Act for minimum area of land required for defence of India or national security, or for any emergencies arising out of natural calamities or any other emergency with the approval of Parliament.
- The Notification for commencement of SIA study is issued by the Appropriate Govt.
- Acquisition of land under the Act involves the steps like, issuing of preliminary Notification under section 11(1), approval of Land Acquisition Estimate prepared taking into account all the components required under the Act, approval of the Rehabilitation & Resettlement scheme by the Commissioner, R&R, approval of Declaration under section 19(1), approval of the Award prepared under section 23 of the Act.